Sunday, April 17, 2011

BFA/BA/MFA Opening at the Museum of Art 4/15/11


 I quite enjoyed this exhibit!  It was so much fun to see the final product of everyone's hard work.  It was especially meaningful to me this year because I had seen some of the BFA candidates work in progress (Josh and Katie mostly) and it was exciting to see their work framed/finished and in a gallery setting.  I could not believe how many people were at the opening!  It was crazy!  I definitely want to go back at some point when I can spend more time looking at each piece without having to dodge people and try and get out of their way.  

I think my favorite works were Josh's, Katie's, and Liz's.  I had talked to Josh a little about the ideas behind his work and I think the forms he was able to create were just absolutely beautiful.  He told me that for at least one of his pieces, he kind of wanted it to look like a piece of machinery/a tool that had been discarded that people found and decided to use for something else.  I think his thought process behind his pieces is really interesting and thought-provoking.  

Joshua Torbick, Bent Ash Bench, 2011
I loved the quality of the empty rooms in Katie's work.  I think she has an extraordinary command of color and space, and the perspective in her paintings is so intriguing.  I especially liked her painting of the wood shop and it was great to see that one finished because I was around working on my projects while she was in there painting.

Katharine Austin
Liz's work was so fun in that there was so much going on.  Her set-ups were so complicated but she was able to simplify them in a really thoughtful way.  I also liked the perspective in her pieces in that the food was looked at almost from above, so much of the top of the table was visible.  This was a really pleasant departure from traditional still lives.  Also, her way of outlining the objects gave them a unique look...I loved her use of line!   

No comments:

Post a Comment