Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Tradition and Identity"

This speech, given by David Smith at Ohio University in 1959, looks at Smith's beliefs regarding tradition and art, as well as Smith's own identity as an artist.  He begins by discussing his preconceived notions of art and artists; when Smith was younger, art was a vague word, one he was unsure of.  An artist was "an ethereal poetic character divinely sent," and oil painting and sculpture were complex, inconceivable processes learned from years and years of study, only really accessible in important cities like New York and Paris.  Now he sees tradition both as a valuable tool and a force that can hold back.  Smith makes the clarification that he only speaks out against the type of tradition that keeps art from progressing: "In this context tradition can only say what art was, not what art is."  He then transitions into discussing how he works as an artist and what his art means to his own identity.  A work does not need to turn out perfectly: rather, it is more important to have an image of where one wants to start and then continue on until one reaches a point of realization.  Smith's current work often transitions into his future work, as his past work continues into his current.  His art is his most true form of expression: "As far as I am concerned, after I've made the work, I've said everything I can say."  

David Smith, Australia, 1951

This piece contained a lot of insight into what it means to be an artist.  The whole speech just felt so much from the heart and was articulate and enjoyable to read.  I really identified with some of what Smith said in his final paragraph and also aspire to be like what he wrote there:

"I will not change an error if it feels right, for the error is more human than perfection.  I do not seek answers.  I haven't named this work nor thought where it would go.  I haven't thought what it is for, except that it is made to be seen.  I've made it because it comes closer to saying who I am than any other method I can use.  This work is my identity.  There were no words in my mind during its creation, and I'm certain words are not needed in its seeing; and why should you expect understanding when I do not?  That is the marvel - to question but not to understand.  Seeing is the true language of perception.  Understanding is for words.  As far as I am concerned, after I've made the work, I've said everything I can say." 

No comments:

Post a Comment