Monday, February 14, 2011

"Just Kids" by Patti Smith

I'm not sure if we were supposed to write about this excerpt from Just Kids but I shall do so anyway because I really really enjoyed this book!  This part of the book details Patti Smith's arrival in New York and essentially her ensuing homelessness that lasted for a brief period before she was able to find work and a place to stay.  The relationship between Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe, which is the soul of the book is quite fascinating and fun to read about.  Smith has such a simple but elegant way of writing that the book reads quite easily but has a sort of poetic, brooding feel to it.  I also appreciated how it was written kind of haphazardly with some portions basically short vignettes, other portions serious reflections on her life, and others simply yarns about artists living in New York City in the 1960s/70s.  I also loved the photographs of Patti and Robert that would occasionally crop up in the book so I will post a few of them here:




No comments:

Post a Comment