Saturday, January 29, 2011

Studio Practice

As of right now, I don't have much of a studio practice outside of class.  During the semester, I find it hard to do work for myself because of the demands of classes, work, etc.  Although my concentration is in painting, when I am doing art outside of class, I often find myself doing more craft-based projects like knitting and sewing.  I also really enjoy making things as simple as cards and little presents for other people.  

I wish that I did more painting on my own, in addition to classes.  I guess I just get overwhelmed by the amount of preparation to begin a work that goes into starting an oil painting, for example.  When I want to make something, I want to get right into it, right away.  I suppose that's why I gravitate towards crafts because they provide less prep time.  

When I am beginning a painting in class, there are several aspects of the class environment that I think are helpful.  Even though I may not feel particularly like painting that day, being in class forces me to buckle down and get to work.  Before I get started I always need to set up my space and make it organized.  Putting out all my brushes and paint in a certain way is always necessary before I start.  The other main thing I enjoy about the class environment is that I get to look at other people's work and their process.  I enjoy this immensely because it is so fascinating how differently everyone works.  It is also fun to find similarities, get ideas, and just see how each person approaches the same problem.  

I think another thing that deters me from doing more of my own painting is my lack of a personal space, a place where I can be alone and paint.  While I do appreciate aspects of being in a classroom with other students, I think I can get most immersed in my work when I am alone.   

No comments:

Post a Comment